Many mark summer not by BBQs and pool parties but by the sudden increase in Mosquitoes. The saliva of these pesky, blood-sucking insects causes skin irritation upon contact, with red, itchy, swollen hives appearing within a few hours to a few days depending on their level of sensitivity. Whether you’re enjoying the summer at home or traveling abroad, it’s important to avoid mosquitoes as much as possible. Mosquitoes are not only irritating, mosquitoes can carry a number of serious viral diseases like West Nile, Malaria, and Yellow Fever.
Mosquito Control Tips
Eliminating habitats for breeding is your first defense against mosquitoes. These aquatic insects breed in pools of stagnant water, so use the following tips and do your part to control the mosquito population in your area
- Drain water from garbage cans, gutters, coolers, toys, tree stumps, tires, or any other containers where stagnant water can collect
- Change water in bird baths or flower pots at least twice per week
- Change your pet’s water dish daily
- Keep grass short and trim shrubs to eliminate hiding places for adult mosquitoes
- Cover swimming pools or hot tubs when not in use and be sure to keep them properly chlorinated
Mosquito Bite Prevention Tips
In situations where existing mosquito populations are difficult to eliminate or where you don’t have full control your environment, follow these mosquito bite prevention tips:
- Limit outdoor activity between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active
- Apply DEET containing mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing, following directions carefully.
- If possible, cover bare skin as much as possible with long pants, long sleeves, socks, and covered shoes.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to bacteria in sweat so, when possible, change your clothes and take a shower to rid yourself of excessive sweat.
Doctors Express West Hartford is a walk in clinic offering urgent care for a variety of insect bites and stings, including those from bees, spiders, ants, and mosquitoes. Our staff of experienced and board-certified physicians is available 7 days a week to provide quality, personalized care and relief for your symptoms with no appointment necessary. Because quality, affordable care for all is our goal, we accept most insurances and offer deeply discounted rates for our uninsured patients. For more information, give us a call at 860.986.6440.